Thursday, December 9, 2010

31 Days Of Santa: 9th Day- Winsor McCay


All I have to say is- THANK GOD FOR PHOTOSHOP. Wasn't too happy about this until this morning when I got to throw in the background and give it an aged look, along with just a couple small edits. Looks a little more McCay-like now. I'm sure he used dip pen for his ink work, but I got home late from roller derby, and wanted to hit this quick. Micron it was.

McCay was most renown for his super popular comic strip "Little Nemo in Slumberland" as well as being a pioneer in animation- youtube "Gertie The Dinosaur". Crude, sure- but he took steps ahead of others at the time. The man was devoted to his art, and it showed in his great draftsmanship. Absolutely wonderful style that reminds me of a simpler version of another favorite illustrator of mine, whose style will come sometime this month ;)

I definitely want to play more with this style, the colors.... good golly, I love me some McCay.

Medium: Ink, dyes, digital (running theme, huh?)
More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment